Monday, June 6, 2016

Yum! New Foods May 6, 2016

Editor's note:  Let's start with the picture of Elder Richards.  I picked up my phone yesterday and there was this picture of Elder Richards.  The text conversation went like this:

Them:  Picture of Elder Richards and Elder Daw....Elder Richards tried balut. They're here at dinner with us.

(I had never heard of balut so I looked it up. A balut (spelled standardized as balot) is a developing bird embryo (usually a duck or chicken) that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It originates and is commonly sold as street-food in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos (khai look ໄຂ່ລູກ in Lao), Cambodia (pong tia koun ពងទាកូន in Cambodian),[1] Thailand (Khai Khao ไข่ข้าว in Thai) and Vietnam (trứng vịt lộn or hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese).

 Me: How nice to pick up my phone and find a picture of my son enjoying his dinner.  Thank you!..

Them:  It is my privilege to serve.  I grew up on Ohio myself in Canton.  I'll tell him you said hello.....

Me:  How did the balut go down?  Both of my parents are from Akron.  Small World....

Them:  He couldn't handle it :)He tried nem chau (Vietnamese Sausage) a month ago and he looked like he was going to explode.  Slightly spicy.  I told him not to worry on balut and that it's not like an alien was going to pop out of his chest.  At least it's not too likely...

Me:  He does love to try new foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment